Pearl Lewis was born and raised in Bertha, Minnesota, where she taught school, preached in her home church, and served as Superintendent of Sunday School as well as of Daily Vacation Bible Schools prior to attending Anderson Bible School and Seminary. At Anderson she served as the class secretary-treasurer and graduated with a Bachelor of Theology degree in 1929. Writing about the time she spent at Anderson, Pearl thanked God for all the encouraging friendships she made.
After graduation, Miss Lewis was selected to pastor the Libby Church of God in Libby, Montana (1929-1931). She moved from there to serve as assistant pastor for a congregation in Billings, Montana (1931-1932). In 1933, she traveled to Bertha, Minnesota, to serve three years as assistant pastor in her home church before returning to her former position in Billings, Montana. In 1938, Miss Lewis was appointed to the position of State President of Montana for the Church of God which she held until 1940.
At Dr. A.F. Gray’s invitation, Miss Lewis joined the faculty of Pacific Bible College in 1940 as an English instructor. She recognized the college’s need for a library and began organizing and supervising its operation. In 1947, the college recognized her service by dedicating its second building, the Pearl Lewis Building, to her. Miss Lewis’ prayers for a library building on campus were fulfilled when the Otto F. Linn Library was dedicated on November 24, 1954. However, it would be nine more years before she was hired as Warner Pacific College’s first full-time librarian in 1963.
It was said of Miss Lewis that while she was quiet, modest, and studious, when she spoke, she shared real wisdom. Although the Pearl Lewis Building was eventually renamed to A.F. Gray Hall in 1981, the Pearl Lewis residences remain in recognition of her commitment and dedication to the university.